It started like a bug bite. I really did think that I'd been bitten by a spider in my sleep - not unusual in Florida.
Saturday morning, I arose early to get to THE BIG WALK...See, I'm training for the Breast Cancer 3-day and THIS day was the longest, biggest, baddest walk in our training. It would be 18 miles this Saturday, followed by 15 miles on Sunday. The whole group of us - 13 in all - was fearing this weekend. It would test us...it would try us...it would let us see our weakness...and let us see our strengths. No training walk was longer, or more feared than this one and the time had arrived.
I awoke to a sore left eyebrow. No biggie...just a little twingie pain now and then, and whenever I touched it. Odd how when something grabs your attention, even if it hurts, you keep prodding it, as if in disbelief that something - anything - could possibly stand up against THE BIG WALK. I figured it was a bug bite and I looked for the telltale red mark. Nothing. I went walking.
The walk was big and it was bad, but the worst part had been beaten. Now there was just the back-to-back issue to deal with. Fifteen miles on Sunday. I awoke early again, slightly peeved that whatever the heck spider had invaded my bed was STILL causing me trouble. How dare a stupid spider try to draw my attention away from THE BIG WALK! I checked the mirror again for the telltale red mark. There was nothing where it hurt, but there was now a red mark on the OTHER side of my left eyebrow. How odd. I went walking again.
I was THRILLED to have sucessfully conquered the weekend. No spider was going to stop me! Monday I called the doctor and got in right away. He concurred...bug bite...a nasty one, but a bug none-the-less. Anti-biotics.
Tuesday, I realized this stupid bug was pretty SERIOUS! The burning in my scalp felt like acid being poured over my head. The pain was excruciating at times, but thankfully, it usually passed quickly. Serious venom in this bug. Could it have been a black widow or a brown recluse? I started to worry.
Wednesday I woke feeling odd. Stumbling into the bathroom, I realized that my left eye was now swollen half shut. Oh, THIS is not good. No way I could go to work looking like this, I called off and waited for the clock to strike 8am, so I could call the doctor. "Get here as soon as you possibly can."
At first the doctor was surprised at the voracity of this stupid little spider. He was about to prescribe stronger anti-biotics when he took a second look and thought aloud..."Why, that looks like...Hold on." and he rushed out the exam room. Seconds later, he re-entered with my regular doctor who had not been available on both of my visits yet. She concurred...They spoke in medical-ese, a language I know a little of, but I was lost in the excitement they exuded and left in fear as they both rushed out of the office again. "WAIT! What is it?? Am I dying?"
Just before I started the quick descent into panic, the doctor rushed back into the exam room, excitedly out of breath. "It's Shingles...You've got it pretty bad. We need to start you on medication immediately and hope that it doesn't get into your eye. You could lose your eye sight." Within seconds my regular doctor barged back in with medication in her hands. "Take one of these immediately. We have to get you to the opthomologist today."
I had been forced onto the ebbing and flowing tide of slightly emergency medical care. I grabbed on for dear life and let them take me where I needed to go. Wisked off to the opthomologist, I was given good news. Doesn't look like it's in the eye. Medications were piled on me...creams, ointments, pills, it probably would have been overwhelming if I'd allowed myself to think about it. Instead, I figured the medication would kick in and I could go to work tomorrow.
Thursday I awoke with that sticky eye feeling...where the sleep is so thick in your eyes you almost don't want to even try to get up. I forced myself into the bathroom again and was TERRIFIED at what I found! The first thing that popped into my head..."There's the Elephant Man in my mirror!" A call into work let them know there was no way in hell I was going to be there that day. A call to the Husband let him know I was worried and was going to call the doctor as soon as I could, but there was no way I could drive if he wanted me there. A call to the doctor..."Get here as soon as you safely can."
The Husband came to pick me up - none too happy because he was sure they were just going to say "It's just running it's course. Keep taking the medication. That will be $15, please."
Hubby came into the exam room with me...they got me in almost immediately. Doctor enters, takes one look and says "Yup, we're going to have to send you to the hospital. Hold on." Upon re-entry this time, he has Hubby's doctor in tow, who concurs...IV's in the hospital ASAP. Just for 23 hour observation. Both doctors explain that this has now become so serious that they need to do everything they can to stop it...before it gets on my eye and I lose my sight. Hubby feels better about taking time off work...this is more serious than he thought! Who-da-thunk a stupid disease with a stupid name like SHINGLES could be so darn serious!?
We walk into the hospital and ask for Direct Admission. After many attempts at trying to get the right department, we are told that someone would be down to get us, because there is no way we'd be able to find our own way...The hospital has a new addition and even the nurses are still getting lost.
Upon arrival of the Direct Admission department, I am wisked into a hospital gown and booties. Questions are fired at me as I lay in a hospital bed...HOW DID I GET HERE?! It started as just a stupid spider bite! The nurses are very kind and ready to serve. The IV is set and saline is mixing with anti-biotics before I've even been there for an hour. Wait! How did it get so serious??
They feed us both before moving me upstairs to my "reverse pressure quarantine room". It's been explained that many people will be wearing masks and gloves and gowns when they enter my room. I'm contagious to anyone who hasn't had Chicken Pox yet...and some people just don't want to take any chances, whether they've had them already or not.
Shingles...The Herpes Zoster virus that causes Chicken Pox attaches itself to your nerve when you get over the Chicken Pox where it lies dormant for years...waiting for your immune system to be compromised by stress or illness or whatever. Once given the chance, it rears its ugly head with a vengence...causing searing pain and blisters that could appear anywhere on your body. Usually they appear on your legs or your abdomen or your back. I was lucky enough to have them appear on my left brow, forehead and scalp. The added plus for me is that these nerve pains triggered my horrible headaches!
Hubby calls the church, and work, and a couple other people for me and heads back to work. We really can't afford hospital bills on top of not working, especially if he's taking time off, too. The Neurologist visits; the Opthomologist visits; my regular doctor visits...It's a whirlwind of activity.
Within a couple hours, my best friend blasts thru the door. "Oh you poor thing! HA HA HA!" and she brings me a Bible and some other "treats" and proceeds to get me belly laughing like I've not laughed in a long time.
Hubby spends most of his non-working time sitting next to my watching TV and holding my hand. The cafeteria can't seem to get my Vegetarian meals right, so he gets to eat their mistakes. The fear returns when it's time for him to go home. I don't want to be here!
Friday...Everything is worse. Now, my eye won't open even when forced by the doctor. I feel sick and have lost my appetite. Best Friend brings me lunch. Since we usually meet for lunch on Friday's she didn't want to miss it this week, so she picked up my salad and brought it to me...We "have lunch" together. I don't eat much, though.
My regular doctor tells me I'll be here until Monday if the other doctor (who's on call over the weekend) knows what's good for him. "And since I sign his paycheck, I'm sure he knows what's good for him." I'm realizing I have the coolest doctor alive. She had ordered cold compresses to help with the swelling, but they hadn't been able to find the supplies for them. Doctor Cathy got angry...not a good thing for whoever is in her crosshairs.
"You WILL have cold compresses within the hour. The Great OZ has spoken."
Within 30 minutes, the nurse brings in a cold compress. The Auxillery makes these cute cloth covers for the ice packs...my nurse has chosen "just the right one for you." It's a cartoon version of The Wizard of OZ. Hubby and I are laughing again. It feels good, because not too long before I was crying from fear and pain. What is happening to me?
Best Friend visits again. She refuses to let me mope.
Saturday I am awakened by my cell phone ringing at 7:10am. It's my team...They are all walking by the hospital and wanted to let me know they were waving with all their might...Best Friend is leading the walk today for me.
The doctor arrives fairly early. He's optimistic, saying I could go home Sunday. He gives the OK for me to take a shower...AHHHH!!! A shower! Who knew that something as simple as soap and water could do so much to your mood! Hubby shows up just as I'm turning the water off and gladly helps me dry off and redress in a clean hospital gown and booties. My regular clothes are a thing of the past. Hubby starts explaining how he's going to redecorate my room...put a fireplace over there in the corner. It's a good day in between pain pills.
Best Friend arrives AGAIN! Eye opens with MUCH effort on my part...obviously it doesn't stay open very long.
Sunday, I awake feeling horrible. I'm afraid. Hubby arrives fairly early, before the doctor this time. He's afraid, too. Neither of us wants to take the chance that I'm just not ready to go home. What if it's too soon? What if it comes back with a vengence? What if the pain is too bad? What if...we both decide I should stay another day. I'm just not feeling up to going it "alone".
Doctor agrees, but insists that I get out of my room and walk around the Nurse's Station. THIS MEANS I'M NOT QUARANTINED ANYMORE! It does only a slight bit to help me feel better. Nurse (the best I've had) tries in vain to get me out of bed...I need a nap...I just don't feel right. Hubby arrives just while I'm trying to get to sleep. Frightened that he'll leave as soon as I drift off, I make him promise me he'll stay. "Why would I leave? I just got here." I love this man!
After the nap, I feel much better and I'm ready to get up and go walking. My eye is just starting to open again...I feel like a baby kitten. Hubby and I make 3 laps around the Nurse's Station then plop our butts down to watch the Bucs. I think about going for another walk at Half-time, but dinner arrives right then. Of course, they've messed it up again, trying to give this Vegetarian a tuna salad! Hubby gets Tuna for Sunday dinner...and I start my waiting period. It's 5:30pm and Nurse has called for my proper dinner.
7pm...No dinner. It's shift change. The nurse who answers my call argues with me..."It's what was circled on the paper on the tray." Yes, but that isn't my circle! This is in Red and mine was in Black.
Charge nurse comes in, trying to figure it out. She's not too happy that someone is replacing my order with whatever they feel like giving me and trying to cover it up by filling out their own meal order ticket.
Nurse charges in...she's mad...she's apologizing like crazy. "Head Nurse will get you food...don't worry."
8pm...No dinner. I call again, telling them that I need to know if they are going to bring me something, because if they aren't, Hubby needs to start heading this way right now, before the front doors get locked and he can't get in.
8:05pm, night nurse shows up with reheated macaroni and cheese - leftover from yesterday - and fruit.
Monday, I awake to the door opening and Doctor asking me how I feel. It's dark outside, still. I tell him I think I'm ready to go today. He says he'll get the paperwork started. I ask him what time it is...7am. We discuss certain necessities...how long am I off work? Can I walk in the training walk that weekend? All his answers are "Come see me Friday and we'll figure it all out then. Meanwhile, REST!" I fall back asleep.
Breakfast arrives at 8:15am and it's exactly what I ordered this time. Nurse comes in at 9am, asking when I want to leave...any time is fine. I choose 10am, which give Hubby time to leave work and come get me.
Slowly I get better. I visit with the Opthomologist again and he declares my eye SAFE! YIPPEE! What a relief that is! I'm told not to drive for a couple days...so I obey. I rest and read...Friday arrives and I meet with Doctor Cathy. She takes a look at me and declares "You've got an eye in there! I can see it!"
I'm cleared to walk that weekend for training...try to stay out of the sun...no hat, keep the sweat away as best you can...take it easy! I walk 13 miles on Saturday. Sunday, I awake with a migraine and decide to "take it easy" and go to church instead. EVERYONE comes up to me and expresses their gratitude that I'm better. It feels wonderful to be loved so much!
Monday, I return to work...everyone I bump into tells me how great it is to have me back. I'm told a couple times that they were having great difficulty with my being gone. I'd even been called at home one day the week prior.
The scabs are still present...they look like road rash. The pain is still persistant, but 1-2 pain pills a day is MUCH better than GIVE ME ONE NOW!!
Shingles...One nasty virus.
No comments:
Post a Comment